About Me

My photo
Austin, Texas, United States

Saturday, March 26, 2011

Crafty nuggets

So...I'm not very crafty, but I do get the itch every now and then.  No, not the dirty kind.  The CRAFTY kind!  Get-cho mind out 'da gutta!

I am stealing my first craft idea from Real Simple magazine.  LOVE IT!  I've been reading it for probably 10 years now, but this is the first time I have ever actually tried one of the DIY ideas.  Super easy and it only cost me 99 cents!  This is called the dry erase board tutorial.  haha.   I used a frame that I already had at home! I found some cute 12x12 scrapbooking paper at Target for only 99 cents!  There were 8 sheets in the pack, so that is just over 12 cents a piece!  But I digress.  Back to the frame!  Since it's a 10x13 frame, I did have to do a little slice-n-dice on the scrapbook paper.  Xacto knife = new best friend.  Voila! A snazzy little dry erase. Perfect for bible verses or a note to friends or yourself.  You know, whatever. :) Anyway, here it is:



My second little home makeover project comes in the form of a "Home Interiors" (Remember them?) table.  It needed a little TLC after being a fixture in my classrooms for the last 5 years.


Before   











  It even has a flip up lid, so I can hide things inside. In the classroom, this was a perfect table for workstations, because my students could keep the materials inside the table and out of sight!  Anyway, this wood + black metal theme doesn't really go with what I have going on in my apartment right now, so I decided to spruce it up.  Just by changing the color scheme, I was able to breathe new life into this little accent piece. It now offers a 'pop' of turquoise just inside my front door.  I added a unique tray that I got in Italy as a perfect accent piece.  Now it holds mail or sunglasses, so I don't forget those important things on my way out the door.  Here's what my little table looks like now:

  It's amazing what a little spray paint can do for you right?!? 
I used Valspar glossy interior/exterior paint.  The color is Mediterranean. 
I love the contrast of the turquoise and black together.
And here is the tray I found at a consignment store in Italy.
It was only 3 Euros ($5)!!!!



Until next time, remember you are loved!

-cjt

1 comment:

  1. Love the new look of your table, and the tray is just perfect for it. Keep on crafting :0).

    ReplyDelete